If you practice conscious consumption, you will not want to deviate from your lifestyle at the wedding. We know how to reduce our environmental footprint without limiting ourselves or our guests too much. We tell you the main thing about the organization of the wedding in the eco style – from new ideas in the decor to working methods of nature conservation.
Principles of eco weddings
- What you do should be based on the rule of reducing environmental damage. Often eco weddings are compared to rustic weddings and although they are similar in appearance, it is important for rustic to be closer to nature, but not to preserve it. Rustic is fresh cut flowers, linen tablecloths, juicy shish kebab – something that does not fit the eco holiday.
- Don’t rush to extremes, trying to make every step green. It’s unfeasible, and it threatens to spoil the mood. Instead of limiting yourself, choose reasonable measures that will not destroy the holiday of your dreams.
- Look for a playground in the open air – so you use fewer design elements, focusing on naturalness.
Just as the theater starts with a hanger, so the wedding begins with invitations, so think about them first. Be sure to specify the theme of the wedding, because it is not yet very popular and intrigues guests. Make an eco-friendly invitation out of recycled paper or choose an online postcard that doesn’t require a drop of ink.
Images of the bride and groom
If you’re serious, you don’t have to buy young clothes, you have to choose vintage or rent a dress with a suit. At the same time, we understand that things that are not worn for everyone, especially when it comes to this day, so we suggest taking any clothes for a wedding in the eco style that you want. You can do without a fur coat or leather shoes, and buy a dress made of silk, viscose or cotton. Try to sell outfits after the wedding or wear them in the future if you can.
Eco-style wedding decoration
Choose a site where you need a minimum of additional details: with textured wooden tables, interesting walls or picturesque natural backgrounds. If you need to add something, only use natural materials such as wood, stone, cork and recycled materials. No plastic! If you can rent some of the items rather than buy them, do it.
It’s not easy to cut flowers = harm nature, but at the same time you have a holiday where you can’t go anywhere without floristics. Option two:
- When choosing fresh cut flowers, give preference to seasonal and local flowers that grow in your area.
- For a real eco-friendly wedding, use the flowers in the pots, which you can then give to your guests or drop off at your cottage.
Abandon tablecloths, which require extra energy to wash, because the wooden table itself looks authentic. Replace paper napkins with fabric ones (yes, they still have to be washed, but then these napkins are used many times).
In the evening, give up electric lighting in favor of candles if the site allows it – save energy and create a cozy atmosphere.
Such a wedding also has an impact on the food you feed your guests. Make sure you have as much organic and local food on your tables as you can: rustic fruits and vegetables, homemade bread and compotes, and a cake of natural ingredients. Carefully calculate the portions to keep the remainder as small as possible, but don’t overdo it, hungry guests don’t need it.
Gifts for guests
Give something that is associated with careful consumption, then your wedding in eco style will also help someone to take the path of nature conservation:
- Reusable coffee mugs (not made of plastic)
- Fabric bags
- Tree seeds, flowers or just vegetables
- Cereals or seeds to feed the birds on their way to work
- A book or course on saving consumption (we like the free “Now we are” course)
- Donate on behalf of guests to charitable organizations of their choice. Leave 2-3 options, let everyone write to whom he wants to transfer the money.
You can also give your guests something unrelated to the environment, for which we have a selection of 105 gift ideas for guests.
Any questions left? Write to us, answer us!